The St Agnes Head Timeline
1926 2nd Oct Erected to replace building at St Agnes Beacon in use since 25th March 1914.
Landlord Mr George Coulter Hancock.
Ground Rent £5 per annum
Communications Coastal Communication Circuit (telephone) to Perranporth and Newquay Coastguard to east and Portreath Coastguard to west. Later to Godrevy lighthouse.
1927 3rd March - Exchange circuit fitted. Telephone number St Agnes 20
1940 13th March sleeping hut wooden extension completed
1940 4th Aug observation telephone fitted to Observer Corps, Truro
1940 14th November protection shelter completed including concrete roof over lookout
1940 2nd December telephone fitted in shelter
1942 22nd September Radio Telephone installed by Marconis. Copper disk aerial on east wall.
1951 1st July watch reduced to occasional lookout and bad and thick weather watch
1972 April Aerial for bantam radios fitted, later replaced by Westminster Radios
1982/3 Scanner, barometer and wind speed indicator obtained from local funding aerial extended by 8 feet
1990 24th May Used for last incident as communications base
1990 25th May ceremonial lowering of Coastguard ensign
1990 31st May Final closure operational equipment removed. Flagstaff removed for erection at office/coast rescue store, British Road, St Agnes
1990 Nov Handed to Carrick District Council as present ground landlord
1994 Feb Building leased to radio amateurs
2004 Radio amateurs give up lease Building empty
2006 June Area around St Agnes Head and building gifted to National Trust by Carrick District Council
2006 Aug Lease granted to National Coastwatch Institution. St Agnes Head Group formed at same time.
2007 Apr Watches commenced by National Coastwatch, Saturdays and Sundays 8.00am to 8.00pm
2007 3rd Sept. Equipment removed and building vacated by Coastwatch pending refurbishment by National Trust
2008 Jan Due to discovery of mundic block in the walls and the unsafe condition of the building the National Trust take the decision to demolish existing building and replace with new structure
2008 June Planning permission granted
2008 Sept Old building knocked down and erection of replacement commenced.
2009 19th Jan Handover of keys to National Coastwatch of new building